Thursday, December 13, 2012

'Tis the Season... to slow D-O-W-N!

I know... that just doesn't seem real, right? Is it even possible?  We all know this time of year adds to our busyness, and there is so much MORE to do... and yet, the call is ever so clear and answering it is what will TRULY help you to feel the Christmas Spirit!

The call is to SLOW D-O-W-N... just breathe...

It only takes a moment or two... OK - maybe 5!  I don't really want to believe that it is because I am getting older (although I have found myself saying things that make me SOUND like this is the case!) but it seems as though time is spinning faster and faster - just on a regular everyday sort of date - not to mention any date in December!

But I am finding that when time moves so fast… sometimes it's in the slowing down where we truly catch up!

I have mentioned that I am late to the party, but I am thoroughly enjoying Ann Voskamps' "one thousand gifts" and in Chapter 4... "The Sanctuary of Time" she writes: "I know you, those seeking eyes. You're the one in dire need of time, that thing we can't buy, what we sell of ourselves to get more of what we think we want, what we sacrifice to seemingly gain. They say time is money, but that's not true. Time is life. And if I want the fullest life, I need to find fullest time... oh yes, I know you, the busyness of your life leaving little room for the source of your life." (Pg 64)

Ouch, right?  Her words in this chapter on time hit me hard! Me, with the Bossy Lists, and the constant multi-tasking... her prayer becomes my prayer: "I speak it to God: I don't really want MORE time, I just want ENOUGH time. Time to breathe deep and time to see real and time to laugh long, time to give You glory and rest deep and sing joy and just enough time in a day not to feel hounded, pressed, driven, or WILD to get it all done - yesterday." (Pg 67)

Is this not what we ALL want... to not come to Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and be exhausted, having rushed through all of the holiday cheer?  She goes on in that chapter to talk about the key to slowing down time... it's easier than you think and yet it takes such determination!  You simply must - wherever you are, be ALL there!  Be PRESENT... give all of your attention, all of your focus to whatever is right in front of you and feel the second hand slow... the breathing come easier!  Take just a moment to enjoy - truly marvel at - the twinkling of Christmas lights - whether on the commute home in neighborhoods, or in your living room, on the tree.  Brush your babies hair from forehead and watch them sleep... breathe in this moment - so precious and holy. You will not regret it... and because you slowed down time, you will not forget it! 

Our God - who is not bound to time... is ever present and waiting to refresh and refill... in this season, yes! In ALL seasons!  So in the rush of your busy days... slow down... make eye contact... share a smile... capture a moment in time, taking a picture with your heart... and make it Holy!

As Ann closes that chapter on time, she shares a story of making a passed-down treat and watching her kids thoroughly enjoy it!  She wonders when she forgot that Life is Dessert!  She writes, it's "too brief to hurry.  You don't wolf it down."  So with the holidays fast approaching, and all the time stretched oh so thin - I pray you are able to stop yourself in the midst of the rush, be FULLY present, breathe in... give thanks, and be Full!

Thank you for taking the Time here with me today... and if you have just 5 minutes more... enjoy this... my favorite Christmas Carol, matched with scenes from The Nativity Story.

If by chance, you have not felt very Christmasy yet... this just may do the trick!


Blessings,
~Karrilee~

No comments: